Flowers at your belly button.
How do I get the ring off AND hold two bouquets?
Oh my gosh.... Here they come..... Is this really happening? This doesn't feel real.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The night before my sister got married, we sat on her bed, in a room that I had come to know very well. We were discussing the details of the day and making sure that the other person didn't drag fleas into the bed. I had already suffered 10 flea bites from two days prior and we both had strapless dresses to wear the next day.
I remembered crying when I first saw the picture of Anna after she got engaged. It was that strange feeling of losing her and happiness that overcame me. As we sat on her bed, giggling and talking, I realized that I wasn't losing her... I could never lose her.
We woke up at 7 AM, got coffee, and headed to the salon to get her hair done. As the maid of honor, sister of the bride, and wedding planner it was my job to stay by her side, keep her calm, and on schedule for the day. Before we entered, I could tell that she seemed rather nervous - her hair dresser cuts hair well, but styles it like a poodle on occasions. After ceasing the backcombing twice, her hair was finished and looked absolutely perfect.
As usual, we needed to use my phone to find where we were going, and still we got lost. Eventually we made it to the venue. We were still the first ones there. As the time passed, people began to roll in... I was anxiously awaiting the white minivan that held everything from bubbles to centerpieces. It arrived on time along with my wonderful mother who assumed the roll of delegating tasks - I was tied up with the bride and bridesmaids (curling hair, doing make up.... how was it possibly so muggy in SEATTLE?)
After re-curling my hair for the third time, it was time to help Anna into her dress. This was not a simple task considering her dress weighed about 8 pounds, had to go over her head, and couldn't mess up her hair. With the help of my mom, and all 4 bridesmaids, we managed. It fit her like a glove and as I watched my mother zip up the back, she transformed. Transformed from my older sister who never had an interest in hair, makeup, or fashion into a stunning, beautiful bride. No one could compare with her beauty that day. She had a glow about her. While she was off taking pictures, I was running around attempting to get everything together, worrying about the speech I would give later and thinking about her fast approaching marriage. She had always been so supportive of me.
If Matt was planning on being her person, there are some things he should know:
- Anna never eats a full piece of gum so be prepared to share halves.
- She has an irrational fear of diseases and spends too much time on WebMD.. monitor the use and reassure her that she does not have a rare form of an unpronounceable disease because her toe hurts.
- Anna leans... you never know when it will happen or where but she will lean on you, shoulder first without warning. When standing set a strong base.
- Listen to her biology facts with enthusiasm and share your facts with her
- She "beeps" when she wants your attention
Finally, it was her turn. All eyes were on her as she made her way over the bridge and down the aisle. Briefly, before she was completely in view, I made eye contact with Matt and we both smiled at each other. In that brief moment I knew that she had picked the absolute perfect one for her. Their cooperation and devotion for each other is overwhelming and anyone with eyes can see that they adore each other.
Despite the stresses that were involved in the planning process, everything became worth it to me (obviously it was all worth it for my sister) in that moment.
This is beautiful and made me cry a little. You're absolutely wonderful!
ReplyDeleteIt's surreal that my little sister is getting married in a week. I'm excited, yet *insert word I don't know but it's not afraid, nervous, or anxious, here*.
<3 you!